- Do you suffer from an irritating skin disorder?
- Have you tried every treatment to no avail?
- Have you ever stopped to think WHY you have a skin disorder and HOW you can heal by treating the cause?
If your answered ‘yes’ to any of the aforementioned questions, you should visit our reputable clinic for safe and effective naturopathy skin treatment in North Sydney.
The skin is our largest organ and plays a very crucial role in the protecting the body from pathogens, micro-organisms, radiation, regulating temperature and allowing us to feel different sensations.
Considering its large surface area and multiple functions, it is not all too surprising that our skin may be susceptible to different conditions including rosacea, eczema, acne, vitiligo, urticaria, psoriasis, dermatitis and cellulitis.
External factors such as cosmetics, chemical and weather may affect our skin health, however, most commonly our skin health relies on what’s going on inside our body.
Naturopathic treatment of skin allergy and disorders involves the assessment of possible causes and exacerbating factors, which may differ in each individual. These include:
- Gastrointestinal Health – Poor diet, medications, stress and food intolerances/allergies can cause overgrowth of bacteria that don’t normally reside in the gut. Imbalanced bacteria can cause inflammation in the body, and thus exacerbate skin conditions.
- Food Intolerances/Allergies – Normally, a healthy gastrointestinal membrane ensures that food proteins do not escape the gastrointestinal system to enter other areas of the body. However, the gut membrane can become ‘leaky’ and food proteins can absorb into the blood stream and cause inflammation in various areas of the body, including the skin.
- Stress – Stress has been shown to contribute to the development and intensification of a range of diseases. Stress can impact the body in a number of ways, including depleting the body of essential nutrients, and increasing inflammation and oxidative stress (an imbalance between free radicals and antioxidants). High levels of stress cause increased production of cortisol (one of the main stress hormones). Increased cortisol levels can suppress the production of other key hormones, leading to hormone imbalances, which can be an underlying cause of acne. It is important to address the cause of the stress and also implement effective stress management strategies.
- Altered Immune System Function – Regulating the response of the immune system is integral in the management of skin conditions, such as eczema and psoriasis.
- Hormones – Acne can be largely driven by imbalances in hormone production in some individuals. Most commonly, excess androgen (e.g. testosterone) production and poor clearance of androgens can cause acne to develop and flare up. Androgens can cause sebum to produce in the oil glands, which is one of the key factors in acne development. Other hormonal imbalances, such as oestrogen dominance, can be the cause of acne.
- Diet – Nutritional deficiencies can play a role in skin health and healing. Essential fatty acids help to reduce skin inflammation. Protein and zinc assist the skin to repair and heal. Vitamin A and D are also important nutrients for promoting skin health. Despite the popular belief that chocolate causes acne (which is not necessarily true), there are in fact multiple dietary factors to take into consideration with the development of acne. Excess sugar, refined carbohydrates and trans fats can influence acne through increasing inflammation. Increased blood glucose (in response to foods with a high glycaemic index or load) and insulin levels, and high intake of dairy products, have also been linked to acne.
- External Irritants – Many skin products (body soaps/washes, cleansers, deodorants, moisturisers, make-up, etc.) can contain chemicals that can be irritating to the skin. Cosmetics, creams and hair products containing oils can worsen acne appearance. Individuals who suffer from skin conditions often have sensitive skin, and therefore they benefit from products that are gentler and help to reduce the inflammation. Other external irritants, such as dust mites or pollen, can also be the cause of skin reactions, such as eczema.
- Medications – Some oral contraceptive pills and steroids may cause acne/skin disorder development.
Assessing the cause is generally the preferred method of naturopathy for skin treatment.
Skin disorders can be very overwhelming and can greatly impact physical, mental and emotional health.
Nourish Me Naturopathy is committed to helping you live a life abundant in health. For further information on our naturopath for skin treatment, give us a call or book an appointment today!