Our immune system can work for us and, unfortunately, at times it may work against us. This results in an autoimmune condition. Autoimmunity occurs when our immune system attacks our own body’s tissues and results in increased inflammation. The most common autoimmune conditions include Hashimoto’s, Graves, Rheumatoid arthritis, Coeliac disease, Multiple Sclerosis, and an ever-increasing list of other autoimmune diseases. The question is – why are they increasing? And how can I heal myself of autoimmunity?
Let’s take a look:
- Diet – The types of foods you eat has a direct affect on your overall health and triggers for any autoimmune conditions. Giving your body the right foods it needs for proper nourishment, detoxification and to reduce inflammation is crucial.
- Environment – Throughout your daily life your body is exposed to pollutants and chemicals. They are found in our food supply, the water we drink, the air we breathe and products we use. This makes it close to impossible to avoid and puts a large strain on our bodies – often resulting in autoimmune conditions.
- Digestion – More than 60% of your immune system is located in your digestive tract. Inflammation in the digestive tract or poor gut bacteria may impair the immune system, either leading to or exacerbating autoimmune conditions.
- Stress – High levels of cortisol has been shown to alter our digestive microbiome and our immune system. It is very common for an autoimmune condition to become apparent post a traumatic experience.
- Inflammation – High levels of systemic inflammation may disrupt the body’s ability to communicate between nerve-cell communication pathways. In addition, inflammation will affect the digestive microbiome balance, and therefor impair immune system function.
Autoimmune conditions respond very well to naturopathic treatment. For an appointment click the link below. Or for further information give us a call or send us an email.